Friday, April 29, 2022

 Swinging in to say, Happy Friday! 


Today, I have a very special mixed media piece I created to hang in Little Moon's room here at Nonnahs. 
To create this cute scene I masked out the owls from Every Day Wonderful Owls. Then I lined up the little girl on the swing from Happy Mind Happy Life and extended the rope to the moon using Staedtler sketch pens. Now, this is where things went wrong, I used different pens to fill in the masked gaps around the edges of the moon. I don't know what I was thinking... apparently, I wasn't! The ink from the pen I used to do that (I can't even remember which pen it was) bled and created a green tint that I just couldn't get past. 



I wanted to watercolor the whole background so I tried masking fluid for the first time. It was interesting and very simple to do. I will definitely use it again. However, I noticed the ink bleeding in various areas, so I need to research the best inks to use with it. Some of the tintings didn't bother me because it's a colorful scene and I knew it would add interest rather than ruin it. I tried to fix the area around the moon because it looked like a shadow and I wanted it to look more like a glow. The background was painted with Daniel Smith's Iridescent Electric Blue from the Luminescent line. It. Is. Gorgeous. So vibrant and shimmery! 


For the sake of not overworking the paint any more than I already had, I stamped the moon again on gold foil paper and adhered it to the piece, and was much happier with the look.
Little Moon loves rainbows. LOVES them. So I paper pieced the little rainbow t-shirt onto the little girl in the swing. I used gel pens to color her and add "moon dust" to her hair and also for the rope. I tied little bows from embroidery floss to anchor the swing to the moon. Don't miss the tiny hot pink toes and fingernails! So cute! 


The stars were added by outlining randomly from the Star Confetti stencil then they were colored in bright colors and coated with transparent glitter and a few in purple foil.
Fun Fact: Little Moon's legal name actually means "golden moon." When my daughter decided on what to name her, I was excited to immediately have a nickname for her and began to call her Little Moon or Auri Moon. Recently, I discovered that the meaning of Auri is gold. She was born on the first full moon of 2018. Kismet. So of course I'm even more drawn to the moon now than ever, and of course, her room must be personalized! 



That does it for my week this year! I hope you have enjoyed the things I shared. Make sure you leave a comment on each post from this week so I can select one of you to receive a gift card from Unity! 
Stay tuned for a few follow-up creations I'll share during the upcoming blog hop as well! See you then! 
Happy Creating! 
<3 
Shannon













16 comments:

  1. F.A.B.U.L.O.U.S. Auri Moon will love it!!! Your week was amazing, thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so lovely!! What an amazing story behind it too! it's not a mistake, but a happy accident! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a wonderful piece of art! I love how you used the two different stamp sets to create this! ❤

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this "happy accident" card you totally rocked this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty piece of art. Enjoyed all your creations this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a stunning project to finish up your week! It is simply stunning, fun and really amazing! Love her hair as well as her painted nails. Too cute. Thanks for sharing all week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow again Shannon, your work is always so inspirational! Making the owls go away was tedious I'm sure but you recovered all the unknowns so well! Your week has been moonspirational! Thanks my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that is a work of love! It's beautiful! I love that girl on the swing because she reminds me of my daughter. This is such a lovely, happy way to end your week - thanks for sharing all of your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning project! So pretty! Thank you for sharing your creativity this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this so much, it is a favorite stamp of mine. What you did with it is so awesome! The beautiful stars in foil and sparkle are gorgeous. The pink polish is adorable too! You are so creative and this week was full of inspiring ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a SWEET piece you made for your granddaughter, with SO MUCH meaning behind it!! She will cherish it FOREVER! Thankful you leave a lil piece of your heart in everything you create! What an AWESOME week of creativity my Uni sister!!! ♥️🎉💃

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just fabulous! Love the sparkle. Your week's creations are a great inspiration, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the story behind this project, a fabulous result too

    ReplyDelete
  14. The story, details and final presentation of thos project are very inspirational!

    ReplyDelete

Happy Spring!

It's the first Tuesday of April, and I have another color challenge for you! Today's card features the gorgeous Luna moth from Unity...