Friday, May 10, 2019

Well, Pooh!


My sons childhood buddy is expecting his first baby, a boy due in early July. (YAY! maybe on my birthday!) The baby's room and shower theme is Winnie the Pooh. I am a Disney fan but have never really paid much attention to Pooh bear. I have no idea why, he's adorable. Due to my ignorance I was utterly lost when initially starting this personalized gift. I knew I wanted to make a monogram since I happened to have a wooden 'L' for Luca handy. How to make the 'L' Pooh themed without it being contrived was another hurdle. I decided to cover the 'L' with honeycomb. That was the first step. I used a hexagon embossing folder coated with heating embossing medium and pressed and heated the shapes onto soft yellow cardstock.

 I liked that it was slightly messy and imperfect; more organic looking. Then I used pearlized powders and paste to make the hues of honey.
Once the 'L' coating reached its happy place I had to figure out how Pooh would fit in. I imagined him sitting or standing on the lower portion of the 'L' and tasting the honey, but he seemed too small and not prominent enough. I decided to look for images of Pooh on the web and within my Disney scrapbook stash. I decided that in order for Pooh to be large enough to compete with the size of the letter, he needed to be reaching into it for a taste of honey. I came across a pattern in a Creating Keepsakes idea magazine from 20 years ago(!) that was perfect.

 I just tweaked it a bit and went for it. The rest of the process was just incredulous to me because I truly have no idea what wizard possessed me and created the end result. All I know is, I am absolutely amazed and proud of this little guy! I really can't believe I made it! I'm a little embarrassed at just how proud I am over it. But thats Ok.
Honestly, the hardest part was selecting the background paper! I settled on some older SU! designer paper with a cloud print from my stash. Pooh, is essentially a partial stuffie made from felt. He's positioned and adhered to the background. The bumble bees were created with yellow pom-poms, black chenille pipe cleaners & vellum wings stamped with a texture design. I painted the edges of the letter with red paint to acknowledge Pooh's iconic t-shirt.   

 I adhered the monogram to the back and edge of a frame. It can be freestanding or a wall hanging.
The frame is 8x10 size.


I made a couple cards as well. The only stamp I had of Pooh was tiny! It fit perfectly on the SU! onesie from the set "Made With Love." This onesie became official Disney merch when I stamped the inside collar with its label image and hung it on a wire hanger (made from a paperclip), completed with a big inflated price tag. The tag is stamped with an image from Unity's "Stinkin Cute" set.


 I had some old Creative Memories paper with Pooh on it. I cut him out and got him messy with honey. He sits on a grassy hill with a perfect cloudy sky background I created with distress inks. I added in little bees and a honey pot from the classic SU! set, "Button Bear." 

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Little Birdie

Hi friends! I'm happy to announce that I'll be playing along with the Tuesday Color Challenges on the Outlawz Blog & Facebook p...