Tuesday, April 26, 2022

 Shimmer or Shine

Hi there! It's day two of this fun week and like yesterday, I have two slimline cards for you showing two looks, the same but different. Both cards feature the crescent moon and star clusters from the SMAK kit called, Look Up and Get Lost, now I know you're thinking, "Wait a minute! SMAK kits were retired!" Yes, that came to mind for me after I had created four cards using that kit (it's my favorite ever!), I had a mini-meltdown thinking I'd have to start over. I reached out to Kelli at Unity and she reminded me that even though the membership for SMAK was closed, the kits are still available. I was so relieved and happy to hear that!
My first card has a watercolored background using purples and blues (Daniel Smith watercolors), very loose and saturated. I also splattered some pearly greens and golds all over. The stamp images were embossed in white and I just wasn't happy with the stars, so I double stamped and embossed and it looked worse. The image was offset a bit and the embossing powder bubbled. It was a mess. I was close to tossing it out. I used the Itty Bitty, Sun, Moon, and Stars for the sentiment. It's embossed on vellum in a midnight blue color. 




Instead of tossing that first card out, I started on a different one with a softer, cleaner look. For this card, I used the same colors with a more controlled stroke and less water. I stamped the image with clear embossing powder and filled in the moon with paint and the stars with glitter. It shimmers beautifully The sentiment is the Itty Bitty called, You Are Magical, it's stamped on vellum, embossed white, sprayed with adhesive, and finished off with a coating of pretty transparent glitter. As I worked on this one I kept the first one in mind thinking of remedies. I decided to try foiling on top of the stars, so I coated each one with a liquid glue pen and when it was tacky I used deco foil from Unity and peeled it off. It worked great and now it's so shiny! I don't dislike it anymore and learned a few good lessons. Which team are you? Shimmer or Shine? 


Thanks for all your comments yesterday! I loved hearing from you! Have a great day! 
Happy Everything, 
<3 Shannon




 


13 comments:

  1. Shimmer OR shine?!! What kind of choice is that? LOL Both!!! And both cards are really yummy fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I love them both!! Shimmer , shine, both beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. More awesome cards! I don't do a lot of shimmer or shine except during Christmas with cardstock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are all beautiful! I am so glad you didn't throw the one out. It is gorgeous with the layers of celestial goodness! I love how cards that aren't going the way I want them pose a fun challenge of making them work. As in yours, it turned out amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great cards--both of them! You never throw them away!!! Just wait--inspiration will come!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are both so beautiful Shannon! So shimmery with such a wow factor!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both are beautiful - I am just in love with the sentiment on the vellum. All of us need to feel we are magical at times! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE that you stuck with your first card, and didn't let it beat you...YOU WON! I actually like that one best of the two, both are very nice!!! 😍

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the shimmer and shine! These are amazing, glad you did not throw out first one, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are great! Remember - 'there are no mistakes in art'

    ReplyDelete

Little Birdie

Hi friends! I'm happy to announce that I'll be playing along with the Tuesday Color Challenges on the Outlawz Blog & Facebook p...