Thursday, December 24, 2020

My Little Moon

Yesterday I mentioned that Phyllis Harris draws just for me. I became convinced last January when she shared a new illustration she had created during the first full moon of 2020. I requested to purchase it immediately. We had a conversation about it and she mentioned that she "just sat down to draw and didn't even realize that it was the first full moon of the new decade." I shared with her the special connection it has for Aurelia. She was born on the first full moon of 2018. Her middle name chosen months before her birth is Luna. My loving nickname for her is Auri Moon. 

Anyway! Much to my happy surprise, Phyllis released that image as a stamp! It's called, Together We're Better and I used it to create this light-up monogram for Auri's space here at my house. 


Most craft stores carry these letters in various styles and sizes, the one I used is made of cardboard and is hallow so it was very easy to work with. It's 8.5-inches high and 1-inch thick. It stands perfectly on its own.  I cut the back off and cut a hole in the front where the moon would be so that when I added the light, a C-7 bulb used for Christmas village houses, it would glow softly through the paper. 
I traced the letter onto Mixed Media paper and did a lot of masking to fill in the bottom with the neighborhood homes and trees. I used inks, pencils, gel pens, and chalks to color everything. There is some white paint splatter and shimmery accents throughout. I added a second layer of clouds for some dimension. The trees were borrowed from the KOM called Twinkle and the Houses are from House a Home
Thanks for stopping by this Christmas Eve. I hope everyone in your life is healthy and wish you all a very Merry day.



28 comments:

  1. This is an out of this world project. How ingenious. Just spectacular. This is the ultimate “thinking out of the box” project. I love it. What a GIU week so far! Can’t wait to see what comes next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an amazing project - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so stunning and such a great idea!!!
    Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas, and hope 2021 will be filled with love, laughter and good health!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story! I love what you did with the stamp. It is awesome and so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so beautiful and creative! ❤

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shannon, you never cease to amaze me with your creativity! This is such a special piece and so glad this image was made into a stamp just for you and many others!! Vannessa Osbourn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful project! So much great inspiration this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a spectacular project! And so very beautiful and special for Auri. I love your nickname for her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a truly special project idea. What a great gift for a little kid to see their name or initial in lights!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your light-up monogram! beautiful project with this pretty image!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! This is AMAZING! Truly beautiful and special ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun way to personalize a sweet gift! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the way you think...insanely creative! This is a keepsake!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your projects have just been amazing. Great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is just beautiful! So, SO creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just LOVE this idea - you are really creative. I feel the same way about Phyllis Harris stamps - they so often seem as though she's re-created my daughter's life!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This idea is brilliant! I too believe she draws for me. The ones of the girl with a horse remind me soooo much of my daughter, Madisyn. Madi would love a letter like this with her favorite horse stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a beautiful, creative and personal piece! Love the full moon sketch stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great idea. Love the letter lamp and this stamp and design you created. Just darling!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such a great idea. I love your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just WOW! This is beautiful! What a wonderful gift you have! So glad that you shared this with us!

    ReplyDelete

Happy Spring!

It's the first Tuesday of April, and I have another color challenge for you! Today's card features the gorgeous Luna moth from Unity...