Friday, June 2, 2017

Day 5

Hi there! Today is my final day as a featured GIU Girl. I'm a little sad, and I am already looking forward to next year. :)
Today, I'm sharing something special, a framed piece, created with stamps from my favorite Unity Stamp Co. Illustrators, Donna Downey & Phyllis Harris
The Poppy stamp's from Donna's Wild & Free kit are simply incredible. And Huge!
Pictured below, is a standard, composition sized Art Journal cover I created using both Poppies in the kit. The card is a standard size 4.25x5.5in card. I'm pretty sure its the biggest stamp I own.
My framed art measures 8.5x6.5 inches outside the frame.

Phyllis Harris creates the most adorable children images. I'm so drawn to them, because they resonate with my own inner child. Her Happiness is... kit is just irresistible! I wanted to use the girl in the swing in an unusual setting and the big, open poppy just seemed perfect. I masked the main images and arranged them into the scene I wanted to depict. Then I stamped them all using black Archival ink. In hindsight, I think I would have liked the outcome even more if I had used colored inks. I'll just have to make another one! I used Gesso on the flower petals to give them a visible texture, then painted it with neon paints. I colored the girl with Inktense pencils, and accented everywhere else with gel pens, chalk and glitter glue.
I took photos outside before framing it. Hopefully, you can see the glittery bits. Its so pretty, much brighter and eye catching in person. The wild flowers at the bottom are also from Donna's kits called, Create Today and Insightful Meadows. They were stamped at half strength with grey ink.









Here are a couple more cards using Happiness is...  (I didn't even realize I colored her clothing the same colors! HA!) and another favorite Phyllis Harris kit called, Every Breath.
(The sentiment on those cards are from a different company)


The backgrounds on the Journal cover, and the two wishing cards is the, "Salted Watercolor" technique. It creates beautiful backgrounds! The secret is to use a lot of color, Ice Cream Salt, and do not move it until it is completely dry. The rock salt leaves bits of crystallization behind on the paper and it shimmers in the light. Here is a short video I made a while back for it.  

I hope you've all enjoyed the projects I created this week. I loved my GIU experience & reading your kind comments. I swear, the stamping and crafting community are always the kindest people I encounter! Truly!
Now,  Go comment & Good Luck in the drawing for the 25 piece Grab Bag!



P. S. I saw a photo of a winners grab bag the other day, and she was over-the-moon, happy with the selection she received. :) Don't miss out! Remember to comment on each post this week.

26 comments:

  1. I love how whimsical and colorful your card is. It is so pretty! I've enjoyed your projects this week. :) Thank you for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have added so much color to my world this week. Your projects have all been so very inspirational. Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your work is gorgeous, I love how you use the Unity stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have enjoyed your art this week. I love want you did with the girl swinging from the poppy. Fabulous! I also appreciate you sharing the rock salt technique... what cool backgrounds! I am inspired to try this. Thank you!!!😊

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I just love what you have created this last week. Your projects have all been so different today is my favourite I think I love the Phyllis's Harris girls and idk t have the large poppies but wow do I wish I did ... your clip today with the salted background was something I had never seen before thanks again I can't wait to try it

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun project. I like the idea of her swinging from a flower and it opens other possibilities for the stamp. All of the projects are great. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! I will have to try the salt technique. Thanks for a week of great information.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've enjoyed your cards. Great week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had forgotten about the salt technique. Thanks so much for reminding me. It is a very old technique, that still packs a punch. Beautiful card and thank you. I love Unity Stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have my sea salt close at hand - love this technique!
    All of your creations are so beautiful. You do lovely work
    and I thank you for an awesome week of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, just wow. The inspiration you have given me is incredible. I never thought to use the poppy like that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH, MY, GOODNESS! I love it, such talent and imagination you have. I found the flower was gorgeous but then I saw that you put the girl on a swing, swinging from the poppy, it fits so well and the colors, I mean what can I say? WOW! And the tutorial about the Ice Cream Salts, I never even knew that existed, I really must try out that technique for sure. I hope you continue to put some of your work on your blog because I really am interested in seeing them. Thank you s much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is a very pretty piece, thanks for sharing with us.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was just wonderful, seeing your beautiful stamped creations this week. It's good to see that you're still making time to get artsy, and the variety of projects really show off Unity stamps. That poppy stamp is enormous...and looks amazing on both the journal , card, and framed piece. Oh my goodness...combing the Phyllis Harris girl with that giant poppy is such genius! My mind is now imagining a magical garden, filled with either HUGE flowers, or tiny girls. Thank you for making this GIU week so inspirational for us Shannon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW! I am literally jaw dropped by this creation! So gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful creations!! Love your art!

    ReplyDelete
  18. At one time I had a couple poppy plants. I always thought they were
    so pretty. Mine were never big enough for a little girl to swing from but
    I wish they would have been. My daughter would have enjoyed that.
    The coloring is great and the fantasy is wonderful.
    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just love the poppies! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've loved your work this week. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love that framed piece.... magical! Great wrap up for your awesome GIU week! Thanks so much for sharing your art with us!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, that little Phyllis Harris girl on the swing looks amazing with the flower! You are so imaginative and artistic Shannon. The misty flowers in the background give such a fantastical feel to this project, and make that bold blossom stand out even more. This was such a fun week of Unity from you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous colors. I have so enjoyed your creations this week. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow, wow, wow! Loved your projects today! Outstanding! Love both Phyllis Harris stamps you used and have them both. What a cute idea to have her swing from the poppy (i have that stamp too!) Very Creative! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. All of your poppies are just beautiful! I love the colors and artsy style...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Orange, my favorite color. It just grabs your attention on this cute card.

    ReplyDelete

Happy Spring!

It's the first Tuesday of April, and I have another color challenge for you! Today's card features the gorgeous Luna moth from Unity...